Wednesday 28 December 2011

Thank You Father Christmas!

Season's Greetings one and all! 
It is just after Christmas, the season of shopping for clothes, of buying clothes, and of eating your own body weight in Quality Street. And now that we're all suitably sick due to the alcohol and sugar content of our bodies, it is time to look back on what was most important about this brief but sweet break. The gorgeous goodies we all got, Obviously.
Not all of these were got on Christmas day, per-se, but they were all acquired during this festive season and most of it I picked up in London where I spent this year's Christmas day. I expect buckets of envy as you look at these pics...
1. A Chocolate Brown Astrakhan Swing Coat With A Brown Mink Collar
Now, some people are a little reluctant to wear Astrickan fur even if they wear regular fur because it's not the nicest sounding fur in the world. I'm not going to divulge what it is on this little blog here but I'm pretty sure Google could let you know if you so wished to know. But I'm a firm believer in "what you don't know can't hurt you", so I'll just leave you  with this picture of a BEAUTIFUL coat and not the details of its origins. It falls just to my knees and the fur curls are really closely knit. The collar is mink (always gorgeous) but needs a bit of fixing. 
It was a gift from my fabulous NannyPeg who got in in Oxfam where she works. At a steal I'm guessing, as these things are not cheap if you buy one from a vintage dealer. PLUS, I get to think of some poor third world family who have been helped dig a well or something all because I have this wonderful coat! Megan 1-0 Bad Consumer Karma.

2. 1980's Black High Neck, Backless Evening Dress
Shit quality photo again, soz about that. But, I assure you, this is a jewel of a dress. Its polka dotted with a bow detailing at the front. The cut goes down to sort of the mid calf area, very nice on trend length. I'll need to wear VERY high heels with it though, but Christmas sorted that out too. More of that later. 
This was a present from me-to-me. £20 in Spittlefield market, London. One of my favourite places to shop, ever, in the world, ever. So close to Brick Lane, countless vintage shops and great bars. Also, you do feel a whole lot cooler walking around there then you do in Dublin. Bonus.

3. Denim Studded Jacket with Leather Cross Detail on Back
The collar is studded with spikes. There is a massive white leather cross on the back. It's made of denim. What more can I say? Well, I can say that it was bought in a stall opposite Rough Trade Records in Shoreditch. And, I can also say that it was an Ivory Jar design. Literally all the stuff on that stall was out of this world slick. White shirts with physiologically correct hearts printed on them. Lots of crosses. Lots of metal. This is a link to the designer's tumblr, I would suggest giving it a look, and I would also suggest ordering everything on the website. 

4. Black and Gold Perspex Knuckle Duster
I basically haven't taken this off in the last four days. It stretches from one side of my hand to the other which makes using my pockets tricky. But who needs pockets when you have a ring this fierce? £6 in Shoreditch. LovelyJubily. Designed by MEEN, again a London based design group. I'd check them out if I were you. Statement jewelry is brilliant for making a mediocre outfit look like you've put buckets of effort into it. 

5. Deena & Ozzy Black Platform Heels
If a 70's Glam Star went Goth, they'd wear these shoes. 12cm of gorgeous, sexy, platform heels. Surprisingly comfortable too. I got these as an early Christmas pressie from my dear Mother and wore them to a wedding. Not a bother on me, and I never wear heels. The platform-heel is tortoise shell and don't we all love a bitta tortoise shell? They sort of remind me of the fetish trend of A/W11 and I do feel like an extremely fierce bitch wearing them. So all in all, very nice indeed. Maybe nice is the wrong word. These shoes aren't nice, these shoes would leave the next morning and never call you back. But, my god, they are serious shoes. And I'm pretty sure they'll look pretty sweet with that polka dot 1980's dress.

6. Vintage Croc Detail Ox-Blood Flats
I was working a lot in the week before Christmas, so I picked these babies up one day in work. You can't really see it in the horrendous quality photograph, but the leather is printed with a Crocodile Skin pattern and they are two different tones on Ox Blood. The buckle detail is in gold as well (it looks like silver in this shot). The shoes are circa the late 1980's. They hurt like hell, but that's never deterred me before. I was so in need of new flats and once these shoes realize that I will not lose my nerve and start breaking in all will be well with the world.

7. The Little Sprinkles On The Top of It All
I'm not a big make up girl. To be honest, I get really bored really quickly. At a push I put on eyeliner and lipstick but only when I'm "hitting the town" as they say. But the two beauty products I do spend money on are foundation and perfume. 
Being as shockingly pale as I am, Bobbi Brown is one of the only brands I've found that do a shade light enough for me (I use their lightest shade "Alabaster") and their Moisture Rich Foundation has good coverage without looking caked.  
Chanel No. 5. Classic. My Mum got this for me for Christmas because at a certain point in a young woman's life they step into the world of maturity. And that point is flagged by the arrival of their own bottle of Chanel No. 5. Once you're wearing this you could be wearing a bin liner (something I actually have done before) and you'll still feel great. The ultimate fragrance.

As you can see by the haul, it was a good year. And all of these, along with copious amounts of alcohol, induced great Christmas cheer in my heart! 
Hope you all did as well as me on the gift front,
Happy NewYears, Go live your lives, or whatever it is you do
xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment